United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on February 6 condemned the use of chemical weapons in Syria and called for unity of the Security Council in order to bring the perpetrators to justice.


United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres (Photo: Xinhua)

|  "We've learned with gravest concern of reports of the recent use of chemical weapons in Syria, including in Idlib (governorate). The secretary-general once again condemns in the strongest possible terms any use of such weapons for which there can be no justification," Guterres' deputy spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters.

"He (Guterres) reiterated his call for unity of the Security Council in order to ensure that those responsible for the use of chemical weapons in Syria are identified and held accountable," said Haq, referring to the impasse within the council that led to the dissolution of an independent investigative mechanism, which found that both the Syrian government and the Islamic State terrorist group used chemical weapons in Syria.

Last year, Russia used its veto power in the Security Council three times to kill the joint Investigative Mechanism of the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

Russia last month circulated a draft resolution for a new investigative mechanism, but several council members have expressed serious reservations about the text.

Chinese Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Wu Haitao said on February 5 that China supports Russia's efforts to push for the establishment of a new investigative mechanism. China hopes that council members will continue to hold constructive consultations in order to reach consensus at an early date, he told the Council.

 

                     Source: NDO

Related Topics


Sri Lanka aims to construct domestic airport in central hills to boost tourism

The Sri Lankan cabinet on August 8 approved a proposal to conduct a feasibility study to construct an airport in the central hills of Kandy in order to boost tourism in the area.

Lao dam collapse: 31 bodies found, 100 still missing

The rescue forces in Laos had found the bodies of 31 victims in the collapse of the Sepien-Senamnoi hydropower dam as of August 6, Lao Foreign Minister Saleumxay Kommasith revealed at an international press conference held in Vientiane on August 7.

Thousands ordered to evacuate as torrential rain continues to pummel Japan

Evacuation orders were issued to thousands of households in Yamagata Prefecture, northern Japan, as the region continues to be pummeled by heavy rain, local officials said Monday (August 6).

Indonesia accelerates rescue work for quake victims

 An earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale hit Indonesia’s Lombok island on August 5.

ASEAN, China agree on ‘single draft’ for COC negotiations

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and China have agreed on a "single draft” negotiating text of a Code of Conduct (COC) in the East Sea, an important stride towards narrowing differences among parties.

Cambodian PM: new government to be formed on September 20

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen announced on August 2 that a new government will be formed on September 20 after his ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) won the July 29 general election.