Nineteen people were killed and 30 others wounded in a multi-vehicle crash and an ensuing explosion on August 5 in Cairo that forced the partial evacuation of the nearby National Cancer Institute, Egypt's Health Ministry said in a statement.

The car slammed into three vehicles traveling in the opposition direction, which led to an explosion that triggered a blaze, said the ministry.

Eyewitnesses told Xinhua that the blaze was high and fragments of the destroyed cars were scattered across the roads.

TV footage showed the windows of a nearby building were smashed.

The ministry said that the injured were taken to three different hospitals, where they were being treated for wounds and burns.

No official statement has shown that the explosion has any link with an attack.

Last year, there were 8,000 car crashes in Egypt, leaving more than 3,000 people dead and 12,000 injured, the country's official statistics agency said.


 

Related Topics


Trudeau asks bank CEOs for views on economy, COVID-19 relief- Globe and Mail

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has spoken to the heads of the country's six big banks to get their views on the state of the economy and the COVID-19 relief efforts, the Globe and Mail reported on May 24, citing multiple sources.

Trump opens door to in-person G7 June meeting despite pandemic

US President Donald Trump on May 20 said he may seek to revive a face-to-face meeting of Group of Seven leaders near Washington, after earlier canceling the in-person gathering of world leaders due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

ASEAN senior officials meet online

The ASEAN Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) at the Deputy Foreign Ministerial level was held on May 18 in the form of a teleconference, with Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung, head of Vietnam ASEAN SOM, participating.

Europe must 'prepare for a second deadly wave of the coronavirus', WHO director warns, instead of celebrating dwindling daily figures

Europe must prepare for a second deadly wave of the coronavirus in the winter, a top World Health Organisation chief has warned.

Seven new coronavirus cases in mainland China on May 12, up from one a day earlier

China reported seven new coronavirus infections on the mainland on May 12, versus one a day earlier, the national health authority said on May 13, with six local cases in northeastern Jilin province and one imported case in Shanghai.

White House staff ordered to wear masks

President Trump takes questions on testing after White House staff test positive for coronavirus.