(HB0) - Japan’s weather agency said Typhoon Krosa is expected to make landfall in western Japan on Thursday (August 15), bringing with it torrential rains, heavy gusts and storm surges.

 

 

Krosa, the 10th typhoon of the season, is moving in a northward direction and will likely cut a path through western Japan on August 15.

Evacuation advisories have been issued in Kochi, as well as prefectures in Shikoku and Kyushu, the agency said.

 

A level-4 advisory alert, the second highest on the scale which peaks at 5, has been issued for more than 270,000 households, or about 570,000 residents.

This alert level means that residents are advised to quickly evacuate to safer ground due to severity of the storm and the likelihood of potentially fatal accompanying weather-related phenomena.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), as of 9:00 a.m. local time, Krosa was situated 60 km west of Cape Ashizuri in Kochi Prefecture.

Krosa, the 10th typhoon of the season, is moving in a northward direction, the agency said, and will likely cut a path through western Japan on August 15.

While the agency said the typhoon has weakened over the past few days, downpours of over 1,200 millimeters and violent winds have still been forecast for some eastern and western regions that are facing the Pacific Ocean.

The agency said violent winds will soon be battering regions in Kyushu and Shikoku.

In terms of specific rainfall forecast for the 24 hours through noon on Friday, the JMA said downpours are expected to reach 800 millimeters in Shikoku and 500 mm in both the Tokai and Kinki regions.

The JMA has warned that Typhoon Krosa may cause landslides, particular in the prefectures of Nara, Oita, Ehime and Tokushima.

Krosa has already severely affected transportation systems, with 673 domestic flights for Thursday canceled due to the typhoon.

More flights may be cancelled henceforth, some carriers said, depending on the typhoon’s trajectory.

West Japan Railway Co. announced on August 14 it would suspend the majority of its Shinkansen bullet train services on August 15.

It said that services between Shin-Osaka and Kokura will be cancelled and those on Kyushu Island running between Kokura and Hakata will only be running at a limited capacity on August 15.

Shinkansen services between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka will also be operating at a limited service, Central Japan Railway Co. said, and Kyushu Railway Co. has announced it will reduce the number of its super-express bullet train services on August 15.

Shikoku Railway Co. will completely halt operations on the western main island on August 15, it said.

The weather agency has warned people to stay on alert for severe gusts of winds, torrential downpours leading to rivers bursting their banks, floods and mudslides, as well as storm surges and possible lightning strikes.

                                                                            Source: NDO

Related Topics


Thailand: Face masks handed out due to haze from Indonesia

Many provinces of Thailand on September 13 started to hand out face masks to people as smog from forest fires in Indonesia hovered over its southern region.

ASEAN Family Day held in Italy

Embassies of member countries in the ASEAN Committee in Rome (ACR) celebrated the ASEAN Family Day on September 7th.

Lao gov''''t sends emergency supplies to flood-hit areas

(HBO) - Lao officials and military personnel last week used aircraft and trucks of the Lao People's Army to deliver emergency supplies including drinking water, food, boats, tents and household essentials to six southern provinces devastated by floods.

Vietnam backs RoK to foster comprehensive defence ties with ASEAN

Vietnam backs the Republic of Korea to foster a comprehensive defence partnership with ASEAN, Deputy Minister of Defence Nguyen Chi Vinh told the ASEAN-RoK vice defence ministerial meeting in Seoul on September 4.

Foreign scholars condemn China’s bullying behaviour in East Sea

China is engaged in a long-term and consistent campaign of coercing Southeast Asian countries to abandon their legitimate rights in the East Sea, according to an American scholar.

China files case at WTO against US tariffs: MOC

China on September 1 announced that it had filed a case at the World Trade Organization (WTO) against the United States following its implementation of the additional 15-percent tariffs imposed on US$300 billion worth of Chinese imports on September 1.