US President Donald Trump said on Sunday (October 27) the Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had been killed in a US military operation in Syria.

US President Trump says a ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has died in a US-led raid in Syria.

Speaking in the White House, Trump said US Special Operations Forces conducted a raid Saturday night targeting al-Baghdadi in northwest Syria, during which al-Baghdadi killed himself by igniting a suicide vest.

"Last night, the United States brought the world's number one terrorist leader to justice. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead," he said.

The death of al-Baghdadi demonstrates the US commitment to "the enduring and total defeat of ISIS (the IS) and other terrorist organizations," Trump added.

Al-Baghdadi, 48, whose real name was Ibrahim Awad al-Badri, announced the establishment of a caliphate, or the so-called Islamic State, in June 2014.

In 2016, the US Department of State offered a reward of up to US$25 million for information leading to his capture or death.

Citing defense officials, multiple US media reported that the operation leading to the death of al-Baghdadi was carried out in Idlib in northwestern Syria.

Trump said the US military used eight helicopters in the operation and no US personnel were killed, calling it a great success.

"We were in the compound for approximately two hours, and after the mission was accomplished we took highly sensitive material and information from the raid," Trump noted.

In his remarks, Trump also expressed his gratitude to Russia, Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Syrian Kurds, saying the mission could only have taken place with the help of other nations and people.

Over the years, al-Baghdadi has been reported multiple times to have been killed, but none of the reports has been confirmed. In 2017, Russia claimed to have killed him in airstrikes during a meeting of IS leaders outside Raqqa, Syria, in late May that year.

                                                                           Source: NDO


Related Topics


Online PREP-SOM prepares for 36th ASEAN Summit

The ASEAN Senior Officials’ Preparatory Meeting (PREP-SOM) was held online on June 22 and chaired by Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung, head of the Vietnam ASEAN SOM.

World News in Brief: June 22

China reported 18 new coronavirus cases for June 21, 9 of which were in the capital Beijing, the National Health Commission said on Monday (June 22). This compared with 26 confirmed cases a day earlier, 22 of which were in Beijing. Local authorities are restricting movement of people in the capital and stepping up other measures to prevent the virus from spreading following a series of local infections.

World News in Brief: June 19

The first trial results of a coronavirus vaccine being developed by CureVac are expected in two months, German news website Focus Online reported on Friday (June 19). CureVac, an unlisted German company, this week said first meaningful results could be available in September or October and, under favourable conditions, it could be approved by the middle of next year.

China's economic situation improving gradually, says vice premier Liu

China's Vice Premier Liu He said the country's economic situation has gradually improved, and that various indicators have shown marginal progress, in prepared remarks delivered on Thursday (June 18) by the chief securities regulator.

Hope for the US

Although the latest statistics have shown that the COVID-19 pandemic is devastating the US economy, economic experts still express hope and optimism about the prospects for the world's number one economy in 2021.

IMF board approves US$5 bln lifeline for Ukraine amid coronavirus recession

The International Monetary Fund's executive board approved on Tuesday (June 9) a US$5 billion loan deal for Ukraine that Kiev says is needed to stave off default as the coronavirus pandemic plunges the Eastern European country's economy into recession.