At least five members of a family in northern Mexico, including two infants, were killed on November 4 in an attack by unknown gunmen, a government source and local media said, in the latest case of grisly violence to hit the country.


                                                                 Source: Asian Age Online.

Mexican media reported that the victims belonged to the LeBaron family, associated with a break-away Mormon community that settled in northern Mexico decades ago, and that the dead as well as additional missing family members may all be US citizens.

The governments of Chihuahua and Sonora states, both of which border the United States, issued a brief, joint statement late on November 4 saying an investigation into the incident had been launched and that some people were presumed dead and others missing.

The statement, which noted that additional federal and local security forces were being sent into the area near the border between the two Mexican states, did not provide further details.

Local television showed images of a burnt out vehicle that may have belonged to the family, and local activist and family member Julian LeBaron was quoted as describing the incident as a "massacre," adding that some family members were burnt alive.

The press office of the US embassy in Mexico did not immediately respond to request for more information after hours.

The US Ambassador to Mexico, Christopher Landau, traveled to Sonora earlier on November 4 for work meetings, he posted on Twitter.

 

                                                                               Source: NDO

Related Topics


Online PREP-SOM prepares for 36th ASEAN Summit

The ASEAN Senior Officials’ Preparatory Meeting (PREP-SOM) was held online on June 22 and chaired by Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung, head of the Vietnam ASEAN SOM.

World News in Brief: June 22

China reported 18 new coronavirus cases for June 21, 9 of which were in the capital Beijing, the National Health Commission said on Monday (June 22). This compared with 26 confirmed cases a day earlier, 22 of which were in Beijing. Local authorities are restricting movement of people in the capital and stepping up other measures to prevent the virus from spreading following a series of local infections.

World News in Brief: June 19

The first trial results of a coronavirus vaccine being developed by CureVac are expected in two months, German news website Focus Online reported on Friday (June 19). CureVac, an unlisted German company, this week said first meaningful results could be available in September or October and, under favourable conditions, it could be approved by the middle of next year.

China's economic situation improving gradually, says vice premier Liu

China's Vice Premier Liu He said the country's economic situation has gradually improved, and that various indicators have shown marginal progress, in prepared remarks delivered on Thursday (June 18) by the chief securities regulator.

Hope for the US

Although the latest statistics have shown that the COVID-19 pandemic is devastating the US economy, economic experts still express hope and optimism about the prospects for the world's number one economy in 2021.

IMF board approves US$5 bln lifeline for Ukraine amid coronavirus recession

The International Monetary Fund's executive board approved on Tuesday (June 9) a US$5 billion loan deal for Ukraine that Kiev says is needed to stave off default as the coronavirus pandemic plunges the Eastern European country's economy into recession.