The owners of a building that collapsed killing 36 people and injuring 23 in Cambodia’s Kep province were arrested on January 3, according to a local newspaper.



joint forces collaborate in the rescue operation(Source: Khmer Times)

The owners of a building that collapsed killing 36 people and injuring 23  in Cambodia’s Kep province were arrested on January 3, according to a local newspaper.

The Khmer Times quoted Kep’s provincial police chief Brigadier General Ben Dara as saying that Ak Sarun and his wife had been arrested following an order from National Police Chief General Neth Savoeun.

They were detained at the provincial police station and will be sent to the provincial court for further questioning, he noted.

A construction supervisor was also reportedly detained for questioning over the collapse on January 4.

The National Committee for Disaster Management of Cambodia on January 5 ended search and rescue efforts at the site.

Speaking at a press conference after the rescue attempts ended, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that each family of those who died in the tragedy will receive 50,000 USD raised from the government and donors. Meanwhile, those who survived will get 10,000 USD each, and seven victims who were trapped under the rubble for several hours will receive 20,000 USD each.

Cambodian Interior Minister Sar Kheng said at the scene that the building collapsed because poor quality construction material was used and supervision was lacking./.


                                    Source: VNA

Related Topics


EVFTA expected to help boost Vietnam-Czech trade ties

The Czech Ministry of Industry and Trade’s website mpo.cz has recently published an article titled "The Vietnamese market is opening up, a free trade agreement can save millions of crowns for Czech companies.”

FACTBOX-Latest on the worldwide spread of the coronavirus

Australia's second-biggest city Melbourne entered its first day of tougher restrictions and the Philippines decided to reimpose a stricter lockdown in and around the capital, reflecting worries about getting the coronavirus pandemic under control.

World News in Brief: July 29

Britain has signed a deal for up to 60 million doses of a possible COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline, it said on Wednesday (July 29), its fourth such arrangement as the race to tame the pandemic heats up. No vaccine has yet been approved for COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus that has killed more than 659,000 people and unleashed economic havoc worldwide.

Russia does not seek to rejoin G7: Kremlin

Russia has no plan to rejoin the Group of Seven given its satisfaction with the Group of 20, the Kremlin said Monday (July 27).

Vietnam enjoys great benefit from ASEAN membership: Deputy FM

Becoming a member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has brought about great benefits to Vietnam in various fields, according to Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung.

French Finance Minister: EU summit deal marks birth of a new Europe

The European Union's deal on a massive, economic stimulus plan marks the birth of a new Europe, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told France Info radio on Tuesday (July 21).