Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military to prepare to deploy aircraft and ships to evacuate thousands of Philippine workers in Iraq and Iran in case violence breaks out following US airstrike at Baghdad International Airport last week.


President Duterte chairs a meeting with senior officials on January 5. (Photo: AP)

 Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military to prepare to deploy aircraft and ships to evacuate thousands of Philippine workers in Iraq and Iran in case violence breaks out following US airstrike at Baghdad International Airport last week.

Senator Christopher Lawrence Go said that President Duterte chaired a meeting with senior officials on January 5, during which he asked the Armed Forces of the Philippines to be prepared to deploy military assets to repatriate Filipinos in the Middle East, particularly from Iran and Iraq at any moment’s notice.

According to military chief of staff Lieutenant General Felimon Santos Jr. said Philippine forces have identified possible evacuation routes not only in Iraq and Iran but other hotspots like Israel.

The Philippines is a leading source of labour worldwide with about a tenth of its more than 100 million people working mostly as household help, construction workers and seamen.

There are more than 7,000 Philippine workers and their dependents in Iraq and Iran, including many who work in the US and other foreign facilities and commercial establishments in Baghdad, the Department of National Defence said.

The workers in Iran and Iraq are a small fraction of the hundreds of thousands of Filipinos who are employed in countries lining the Persian Gulf.

like the Philippines, other countries have taken measures to bring their workers home. Asians make up 40 percent of the world's migrants, and Middle Eastern countries are a common destination.

Tensions have risen in the Middle East after a US airstrike killed Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani. Iran has announced revenge for its military official while US President Donald Trump warned the US is targeting 52 Iranian sites if Iran attacks Americans or US assets./.

                                      Source: VNA

Related Topics


French Finance Minister: EU summit deal marks birth of a new Europe

The European Union's deal on a massive, economic stimulus plan marks the birth of a new Europe, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told France Info radio on Tuesday (July 21).

World News in Brief: July 16

Cambodia on Thursday (July 16) confirmed one more case of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 166, said a Health Ministry's statement. The Southeast Asian country has recorded a total of 166 confirmed COVID-19 cases to date, with 133 patients cured and 33 remained hospitalized.

China: Major rivers, lakes see surging water levels

Major rivers and lakes in China have seen their water levels rise due to continuous downpours, local authorities said on Sunday (July 12).

Philippines reports 162 coronavirus deaths, largest daily increase

The Philippines' health ministry on Monday (July 13) confirmed 162 new coronavirus deaths, the country's biggest single-day increase in casualties, as a health ministry official said authorities validated some earlier cases included in the tally.

Defence cooperation key to addressing regional security issues: official

Defence cooperation plays a significant role in settling regional security matters, especially in the context of COVID-19, Senior Lieutenant General Nguyen Chi Vinh, Deputy Minister of National Defence, said while chairing the ASEAN Regional Forum Security Policy Conference (ASPC) in Hanoi on July 8.

DPRK repeats its unwillingness for more talks with US

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) is unwilling to talk face to face with the United States and urged Republic of Korea (ROK) to stay away from meddling in Pyongyang's affairs, a senior DPRK diplomat reaffirmed on Tuesday (July 7).